September 21, 2020

Omwenga murder suspects released on bail

Omwenga murder suspects released on bail

Chris Obure, a suspect in the murder case of Kelvin Omwenga, when he appeared at the Kibra Law courts on September 4, 2020. [Samson Wire, Standard]

A Nairobi businessman accused of killing another trader in cold blood has been released on bail after more than a month in custody.

Lady Justice Jessie Lessit released Chris Obure on a cash bail of Sh2 million with two sureties of the same amount, while his bodyguard Robert Ouko, who is facing the same charge, was released on a cash bail of Sh500,000.

Obure and Ouko were charged with the murder of Kelvin Omwenga on August 21 at Galana Suites in Kilimani, Nairobi County.

Justice Lessit ruled that there were no compelling reasons to continue holding the two in custody, but gave a condition that they should not interfere with any of the witnesses, including relatives of the deceased who is set to testify in the trial.

“The accused are also prohibited from being in possession of any firearm until their case is heard and determined. They are also to surrender their travelling documents to the court and file an affidavit showing where they will be living during the trial,” ruled Lessit.

Investigators into the murder of the 28-year-old Omwenga had told the court their preliminary investigations established that Ouko accompanied the businessman to his residence to have dinner on the fateful evening before the fatal shooting.

After dinner, Ouko requested Omwenga to allow him to go back home after which they proceeded to the bedroom for a talk, but a few minutes later a gunshot sound was heard.

“Ouko then came out from the bedroom hurriedly and requested to rush somewhere but was restrained by the deceased’s nephew while another of their guests went to the bedroom and found Omwenga lying on the floor holding his chest,” said the investigators.

According to the prosecution, Omwenga was rushed to Nairobi Women’s Hospital in Hurlingham where he was pronounced dead.

And in an attempt to conceal the murder, Ouko allegedly went back to Glo-jet offices at Senteu Plaza to hide the gun used to commit the murder.

However, in his statement, Ouko denied the charge stating the incident was accidental.

Click Here To Read Original Story